I knew I wanted to go back to school, but I didn't think I'd get the chance to. I guess it is just a small start. It could lead to something all that much bigger. My starting salary will be higher than it was when I was a security guard. All the good jobs are out west. They get paid more because their economy is doing better than that of Ontario. Enough oil out there to keep us slicked for years to come. Lots of money in that industry. A lot of Americans in the oil industry end up coming up here and buying out smaller companies.
Anyway, I want to get this job. I could be a week away from working after this course. Taking this course does not guarantee employment for everyone taking it. I think I stand a good chance. I had a lot of cleaning jobs.
Today was pretty straight forward. It was just going over the rules which are the basic rules we have in any work place. We get lots of breaks during the day which helps ease the anxiety of the so-called competition. Of course I know which ones are already going to be hired because of their previous work experience.
One thing I learned today is that you can learn a lot by listening. Just listening to people talk to each other. I just observe. All the other students are women. Women love to talk about anything just to be heard. I should know. After all, this blog is full of useless stuff because I am a woman, and I, on occasion, can talk a lot. I know that most stereotypes aren't true, but there are some that are very close to being true. So I listen to these girls on break just go on and on about random stuff. It is weird, because I rarely have anything to say in these so-called group discussions. So I just watch, listen, learn, observe.
Last night I took my guitar out of the case and I was playing it for a bit, going over any little bit I knew, trying to remember how to play it. In the dark, it was more challenging because I couldn't see where to place my fingers. I think it is the only way I'll learn how to play well is if I can't focus on where to put my fingers. I have to get a feel for this guitar. We've bonded a few times. I think of my father's spirit when I play it. Maybe I should practice more often.
I have my plate full at the moment. Going to school is hard because my kid is only in school for half the day. I have someone to help me look after him for the week, and my mother will help out on her days off next week. That should hopefully give me enough time to make other arrangements. The reason having a kid is so stressful is providing that child with a safe environment 24/7. I know it is my responsibility, solely mine. It is my obligation as a mother. And it is my son's right to be safe. I have to uphold his rights. I want to do what is best for my child. I think taking this course will help me get a job and that is ultimately the best for him.
Life is always going to be a balancing act, and with activity must come rest.
After a long day, I return to sleep. Good Night!
2 comments:
hey abigail
glad your back at school but school doesnt always guarantee a job. i know many people who are college graduates, even from prestigious unis, and go months without getting a job. Move to a metropolitan area...a heck of a lot more opportunities there.good luck with scheduling and the stress
check ur mail. gracias.
Hahaha. I laugh when people call me abigale because I know my name is the short version of it, but my name just actually is Abby.
I also know many people and am a person who graduated from college and didn't get a job in my field.
But good news is that there is a job waiting for me after I finish the course. They have two weeks of co-op and a job placement afterwards.
Post a Comment