Pages

Monday, February 25, 2008

Life Without Love

Last night, I was watching a documentary about abandoned children. It was gripping and very sad. They were saying that 1/50 kids would be abandoned by their parents in that country. They are sent to an institution to live the rest of their lives. The caregivers at the institution didn't seem to really care about any of the kids, and neither did the director of the institution. The kids can barely walk because their legs are skin and bones. Most of them can't talk because they were never taught how to talk. Most of them are severely disturbed, psychologically. They sit there all day, rocking back and forth just for some sort of stimulation.

I cannot imagine having to live in a place like that with the kids around me starving to death. One girl's leg was broken and the people were saying that it was just a malformation. She was crying in pain and they didn't seem to care enough to do anything for her. It was so cruel watching her and I couldn't do anything for her.

They are being abused because they can't say or do anything about it. I cried at the end of the show. There was a kid, just sitting there like all the others, and the lady doing the film coaxed the kid over and gave him a hug. It was so sad because not only are these kids starving to the point they are human skeletons covered in skin, but they are starving for affection. I can't think of life without love. I really can't, but there are kids out there who need it more than you or I could ever know.

No comments: